Tuesday 7 July 2015

What would I do without my Doula


By the time my husband and I finally became pregnant the first time she had done a lot of reading about birth options and we had already decided that a midwife instead of a doctor. We believe that pregnancy is a healthy state, and unless something came up, a midwife was the best way forward for us. Besides, where we live, a midwife can deliver babies in hospitals, so I felt that was the safest way to go. (Although, now, I feel I could have had my children at home ... but that's another article!).

When I was a few weeks pregnant I came across an article on doulas, but had never heard of a doula so I was not sure what to do. A doula is a woman who supports women through childbirth. "Doula" is an ancient Greek word meaning "servant to women". A doula provides continuous emotional support, aides in her physical comfort, and encourages women working women. She also provides praise, reassurance and explain whatIt is happening during childbirth. While some husbands and partners may feel it is their job to offer support to women workers and therefore initially feel that would not want a doula, after birth are very pleased and relieved they had one. A doula can help husbands and partners can help by proposing ways of working women, and doulas actually assist the husband to feel is contributing.

Studies have shown that women supported by a doula during labor:
50% reduction in the rate of caesarean sections
Work less than 25%
60% reduction in epidural requests
30% reduction in the use of analgesia
40% reduction in forceps delivery
Maternity mother how a doula can help you have a shorter, easier and healthier birth Marshall H. Klaus (Perseus Press, 1993)

When I was halfway through my pregnancy, we decided to interview some doulas and see if it would be right for us. We met with three doulas. The first one was Jan, who eventually chose. We liked it immediately and wanted to hire her on the spot, but my husband insisted that we meet the other doulas too because we might find someone we like even more. (How could that be possible ?, I wondered.) Well, that was wonderful too the other two doulas, but our instincts told us to go with Jan. So we hired.

We had to give a deposit of $ 100 to confirm our commitment and sign such an agreement. How this fabulous woman? She is very high and has a large presence. She is quiet, knowledgeable and thoughtful; she does not speak much, but when she does is carefully thought out. In other words, she is not "chatty" but not shy. She has an engaging smile, she is discrete, and she is strong. I felt that she could sweep me into his arms and take care!

Jan came over several weeks before my due date to do some prenatal one-on-one with James and me. It is a lactation consultant as well so that helped answer my questions about breastfeeding in addition to my questions on what to expect during labor.

I went into labor three days before my due date, August 13, 2001. It was midnight and I just got into bed when I heard (or heard?) A loud POP! And then another. And warm liquid trickling down my legs. He had broken my water. Yay! Finally this happened.

The contractions started immediately and James rubbed my thigh while I rested in bed. Contractions together more and more and James called Jan at about 5:00 when they were separated about 5 minutes. They got really intense after that and when Jan came, he was vomiting in a bucket on my bed.

Jan threw the ball birth took, flew across the bed, grabbed my hand, looked me straight in the eye with her face close to mine and said, "I want to breathe like this." In an instant, she had calmed down and breathing effectively. She was amazing. I went from being in a total panic to feel that everything would be fine.

When my midwife arrived at 7:00 am, she told me she was about 3 centimeters dilated. I was so disappointed! But Jan my cheerleader, telling me he was working so hard and good management, and that my body was only going to give me what I could handle. She helped James help me by suggesting things he could do for me, and I felt well taken care of by Jan.

It was only about an hour later that Jan noticed my breathing had changed and she called the midwife who was in another room doing paperwork. Our midwife did not think I could have progressed quickly but Jan stood his ground and said, ". It really looks like she is trying to push" So the midwife me again (doulas do not perform medical tasks) checked and I was about 7 cm dilated! It goes fast. Suddenly everyone had sprung into action and started collecting all the bags and things we needed for the hospital. If it was not for Jan, I really think I would have done on time. [Note: in British Columbia, Canada, midwives one

No comments:

Post a Comment